Monday, July 6, 2009

Upcoming Books: The Torch #1 (of 8)

This upcoming book, The Torch, by Mike Carey & Alex Ross is piquing my interest. I've been interested in the original Human Torch, Jim Hammond, ever since Scarlet Witch revived him back in Avengers West Coast #50 from 1989. The Scarlet Witch had recently gone crazy for the first time! or was that the second? (I'll have to re-read my AWC.) Anyway, she wanted to prove that the Vision, recently disassembled & reassembled sans emotions, was really who he said he was. And not constructed out of the Human Torch's spare parts. All of this ends with Jim Hammond joining the AWC for a while. For a more detailed description, click here.

For this new mini-series, the Torch is buried (again) and the Mad Thinker is involved (again). Mike Carey (X-Men Legacy) is writing with assists from Alex Ross. Patrick Berkenkotter (?) is doing interiors with Alex Ross on covers. And I have to say, I think the cover for #1 (picture left) is stunning. Everytime that I think I'm over Ross' art, he comes out with something else.

So what do you think, retread of old material? A comeback for the first Marvel super-hero? Another example of Alex Ross living in the past? Let me know what you think and I'll let you know what I decide.



No comments:

Post a Comment