Sunday, July 12, 2009

Good Girl Art vs. Bad Girl Art



As I was attempting to explain these two concepts to a friend of mine, I found that I might not understand them as much as I had thought. So I started investigating these topics. Here's what I found:

Good Girl Art "is found in drawings or paintings which feature a strong emphasis on attractive women no matter what the subject or situation. GGA was most commonly featured in comic books, pulp magazines and crime fiction." (wikipedia.org) It is called "Good Girl Art" not because the girls/women in the pictures are good, but because the artist draws beautiful or sexy women "good". The women in the pictures may by villains or heroes.

Here are some artist that I consider "Good Girl Artists."

However, Bad Girl Art is different. The "Bad" does refer to the character of the woman depicted. So Bad Girl Art is pictures of "bad girls", but Good Girl Art may depict good or bad girls. So, I guess in a sense that BGA is a sub-genre of GGA.


I've always been draw to the GGA artists, which is strange, because I could care less about how sexy a woman is. People who have seen my own attempts to draw comic book characters would probably say that I am a GG artist. I don't think I'm a BG artist though. Maybe I'll post some of my own art and let you guys decide. But before that let's look at some artists that I consider GGA. I'll add another post later showing some BG characters.div>

Good Girl Artists

Jim Lee


Terry Dodson
Adam Hughes


Matt Baker











No comments:

Post a Comment